Monday, February 13, 2012

For Weary Mothers

"Mama!"

"Stop!"

"She took my toy!"

"I had that first!"

I must hear this and so many similar things at least 100 times a day, or so it seems.
But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good. 2 Thessalonians 3:13
"Weary" seems to be my middle name some days. Seven children have a way of weary-ing a mama! It is physically exhausting to care for those kiddos, as well as mentally, emotionally and even spiritually!

But the Bible exhorts us to not grow weary of doing good. And raising our children to fear and honor the Lord is a good thing!

How can we battle the weariness that seems to follow so closely at our heels?

  • Spend time in the Word.  I can certainly feel the difference when I'm not reading my Bible as I should! The Bible is our sword (Eph. 6:17) and without it we leave ourselves defenseless against the work of the evil one. 
  • Prayer. God tells us that when we need wisdom we can ask for it and He will generously supply it (James 1:5). He also tells us to cast our cares upon Him, because He cares. (I Peter 5:7) How refreshing to know that the Maker of heaven and earth cares about my problems!
  • Fellowship with the Saints of God. I'm talking about uplifting, spiritually-helpful fellowship. It soothes the soul!
  • Reminding myself that this is my ministry. It is what a mother is called to do. I don't need to have my "me" time. I just need to remember that the Lord has given me a mission to fulfill. I need to keep my eyes on the goal of raising my children for Him and keep pressing on. 
I still have small children (a lot of small children), but I also have some who are old enough for me to realize just how quickly they grow up. I see the day fast approaching when my first-born will stretch out his wings and leave my nest. I see that the little ones coming up behind him will follow soon after. 

Oh, that I may not grow weary of doing good.

Linked at:



   A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home 
These Five of Mine

6 comments:

  1. I think it's key that we spend time with God every day :) :)I love how you are trying to remind yourself about God's Word and His promises as you're raising your family :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Heather, for always having such nice things to say to me! I didn't realize when I started my blog that I was going to get a new friend so soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Very well written. It is tiring, but it is only for a season, a very precious season. I stopped over from the Domestically Dive link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....only for a season. I try so hard to remember that on days like I've had today! Thank you for your sweet words!

      Delete
  3. I get tired. And frustrated that it seems to take so long for all the training to take hold. And then one day a bit of light peeps through, assuring me that it really isn't for nothing that I labor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kasey! I've really been enjoying your blog!

      Delete