Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Open Letter to Friends and Family

(Another "catch-up" post....I began this one several weeks back, but never finished it up.)

Dear Friends & Family,

As I sit here writing this letter, I am very much aware that there is a tiny little person being formed inside of me. This is the 8th time I've known the joy of discovering that God is busy knitting someone special in my womb. It is the 8th time I've been able to tell my husband the news of a tiny little body growing secretly within. It is the 8th time I will soon find myself outgrowing my clothing, eating much more than normal, feeling super sleepy, finding that smells are many times a bit too strong for me. It is the 8th time I've told you all that I'm going to be a mom....again.


I know that many of you do not understand our true joy at such news. I know that for many of you, the news that yet another baby is going to join our household is, well, just a bit too much. Too much to imagine. Too much to comprehend. Too much to understand. Too much. Or, as some have even vocalized, "too many". <sigh>

I know I cannot change anyone's mind about anything. And that's okay. I'm not really trying to change your mind. I'm not even trying to be understood. I'm okay with being misunderstood. Really all I want to do is point you to the One Who made all this possible in the first place. The One Who called me to this journey. The One Who placed all 8 of those tiny babies inside my womb to grow into a new member of our family. The One Who is the Giver of Life.

The Bible never, ever talks about bearing children as anything other than a blessing. It is never seen as a burden to be endured or even avoided. Bearing children is what we were created to do. It is one of the primary responsibilities... privileges....of womanhood.


We've heard many things over the years from many people....things like "Don't you know what causes that?" "You sure have your hands full!" and even "You people are crazy!"


It seems that one of the biggest misunderstanding people have about our particular situation is that they think we have all these children because we are "trying for another boy". We have one son, followed by six sisters. And while we've always hoped for another boy, we've NEVER been discontent with our girls. And now, we will probably be misunderstood even more......


While we are *thrilled* to be having another boy, this doesn't necessarily mean we're "done" having children. 

“For who has known the mind of the Lord,

    or who has been his counselor?” 

Romans 11:34 (ESV)




And we will be happy with another one, no matter the gender! 






Linked up:

     Walking Redeemed

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I was truly blessed to read this. we have given God control of this area in our life as well. I am currently pregnant with #4, my oldest is 4 1/2 my youngest is 10 months. so glad I read your blog post. Brought a tear to my eye. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We are only on baby #2 (pregnancy #4) but we're already facing similar comments from family and friends who simply don't understand. I was quite impacted by your quote - "The Bible never, ever talks about bearing children as anything other than a blessing. It is never seen as a burden to be endured or even avoided." - it really sums it up perfectly! Praying for a healthy pregnancy, baby and mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Hugs))) Andrea. You made me cry. I'm soooo encouraged by your humility and boldness here. "Too much". My number eight would be considered too much as well as any children following number 3. But we praise God for them as we see them growing in grace and learning to worship and pray. Children ARE a blessing...despite how humans define blessing. Hard work and sacrifice does NOT equal "burden". What a gift God has given you to be able to bear so many!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies, for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post!! Sooo happy for yall!! We too get the comments about "trying for another girl" and "NOW are you done since Hailey finally has a sister?" Im so thankful that God has placed sweet people like you in my life to remind me, CHILDREN ARE A BLESSING!!! Praying for you in the remainder of your pregnancy!!!

    Melissa Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Andrea!
    What a blessing it is reading the thoughts of your heart! I have been to your blog several times before, and I am enjoying it very much! Praise God for life, boy or girl, but it is such fun that the Lord chose to add another boy to your family. So excited for you!

    I saw that you shared your blog link on my Deep Roots At Home fb page...I'm so glad you did. I am blessed by you every time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww,congratulations!
    I am truly excited for your family and I also feel that children are such a blessing!
    I am pregnant for my 5th baby and already the comments have began rolling in :/
    I'm glad that I found this-thank you for writing it and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Andrea
    Just last night I was thinking about how much Imwould have loved to have had more children for my youngest has spread His wings this year off to university and I don't feel ready for an empty nest. But then do we ever? I am glad for you. Enjoy your gifts from God, dear one!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete