Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Terri's Granola

We visited a pastor and his family in another state a few years back. His wife served us the most wonderful granola for breakfast. She also shared her recipe! It is so easy to make and all the family loves it!

Here's what you need.


Old-fashioned oats, coconut, nuts, oil, honey, sunflower seeds, and raisins. This recipe can easily be adapted. This time I used peanuts, but I usually use mixed nuts. You could use whatever nut you like or leave them out. I also used raisins, which I've found to be our favorite, but I've also used other dried fruits. If the fruits are large, such as apricots, I will chop them into bits. 

The original recipe didn't have sunflower seeds, but I bought some for salads and we've found that we really like them in the granola. I use sweetened coconut, but my friend used unsweetened coconut. 

We have always used honey for the sweetener. The recipe gives the choice of one cup honey or 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup brown sugar. I've not tried it with brown sugar. 

I'm sure you could also stir in just about anything else you like! :) I love a versatile recipe!


Another plus for this recipe is that I can stir it up and cook it all in the same dish. I use this large roasting pan because I double the recipe. I used to oil the pan prior to baking, but one time I forgot and found that the granola actually stuck less when the pan is not oiled. There will still be some sticking, but I just fill the pan with water and soak for a while and it comes out really easily. No scrubbing required. 


First I measured in 20 cups of old-fashioned oats. (Remember I doubled the recipe.)


Next I added 2 cups of coconut.



Now my 2 cups of peanuts. 


Followed by 2 cups of oil and 2 cups of honey.


Finally I added 2 cups of sunflower seeds and stirred it all up.


I baked it for 15 minutes at 375 degrees F. 


Upon removal from the oven I added 2 cups of raisins.


Stirred it up and let it cool. 


I like to store this in my Tupperware cereal storer and use a scoop to serve. (The cereal storer doesn't quite hold the doubled recipe, but we ate some for dinner and it held the rest.) We really enjoy this with milk. I'm sure it would be yummy with vanilla ice cream or yogurt as well! 



Link-ups:



a-wise-woman-builds-her-home    

No comments:

Post a Comment