Monday, August 20, 2012

Our School Room

Summer break is drawing quickly to a close and the new school year is almost upon us. It's exciting while at the same time a little scary. I've just really enjoyed these relaxed summer days. :) And this year I have a high school student! Yikes!

In honor of the coming-too-quickly event, I want to share our school room. I've done some organizing to make it a little more convenient.


Here is where we start our school days. We begin by reading a chapter of the Old Testament followed by a chapter of the New Testament. We are reading straight through each Testament. We are currently in 1 Kings and 1 Timothy. :) We then work on memorizing this catechism and read a selection from some book I've chosen. We have completed Everyday Graces: Child's Book Of Good Manners (Foundations) recently. Other books we read include missionary stories, books on manners, character-building stories, etc. We end this time by having each person say what they are thankful for that day.

I then use this table to work with whoever needs me. The little ones also usually stay here for their work while the older 3 move to the dining room, with the girls at the dining room table and Joshua at a desk.


In this closer view you can see my great big white board. I LOVE this board! It is actually a piece of the material used to line shower walls. We purchased it from Home Depot, along with the plastic edging pieces for around $15-$20. Great deal! 

I also have a small bookshelf with our currently used books close at hand and my file cabinets. I use them to file away all the workbooks that I have cut up. Yes, you read that right...cut up. Instead of having my children write in the workbooks, I chop off the spines and make them into loose-leaf pages. We insert these into page protectors and use dry-erase markers or crayons. Much more cost effective than purchasing new workbooks for each child. The only exception to this is the set of Preschool Workbooks (Early Learning Workbooks)I use when my children are around 4. 

You can also see our Markable Map on the wall. It has the US on the other side. We also have a color version of this map. 


Across the room from our table we have the computer corner. This is where the children do their Rosetta Stone Latin American Spanish as well as the games for their Singapore Math . I also have a copier that my husband found for me on one of his thrift store hunts!! I LOVE having this!! He's great like that! :)


In the other corner we have the "baby container" and a bookshelf (there is another one in the opposite corner...when you use Sonlight curriculum, you need a LOT of shelf space!) and 2 rolling carts. Each of my girls has a drawer for storing her things. This includes workbooks and notebooks for the older 4, puzzles for the 2 year old who LOVES puzzles (you can see her in the photo playing with puzzles and baby toys) and a drawer with baby toys for the 1 year old....for when we let her out of jail the baby container. :) Joshua keeps his workbooks and binders in his desk drawers. 


My newest organization project this year was this closet. It doesn't look that great (this is the only part of our house that was never updated!) but I'm really excited about it. I now have a place to put all these supplies and close the door. The best part is that there is a nice bolt at the top of the door to keep little people from grabbing permanent markers and writing on my lovely dry erase board! :)

Well, there you  have it! We are pretty much organized now and ready to start the new year! (I think.....)

How about you? What kind of storage/materials do you have in your schoolroom or school space?



  

Link-ups:

Growing Home   
 

2 comments:

  1. It's great to see what others do. I like the half circle table. Stopping by from Deep Roots. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    Your school room looks functional and fun. I love the big whiteboard. Why oh why didn't I think of that when I was in the throes of homeschooling?? As a 17 year veteran homeschooler, I can only imagine how much smarter I would have been if blogging had been around when I began. Visiting from Be Not Weary and glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete